Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Trips: St. Lucia (Day 4)

Saturday, January 29

It wasn’t the best night of sleep. 

This one particular bug liked hovering by my ear all night.  And though I was lathered in insect repellent, it’s likely the case that this insect had the mutation conferring resistance to such repellent.  But if that’s my biggest complaint of the day, then can I really complain? 

I had breakfast back at my spot.  The pancakes were bland but thank goodness for maple syrup and Chantilly cream.  I waited the obligatory half hour before jumping into the empty pool by my room.  A nice half hour spent.  I worked out for an hour (this was driven by an idea of possibly hiking the Pitons on Sunday).  I showered, relaxed on my balcony, and checked out.  A taxi had been arranged to take me back to the Mago Estate.  I went to The Cliff to grab lunch.  It opened at 12:30 PM so I arrived promptly.  I ordered within 5 minutes.  Yet 1 PM arrived and no food was served.  I quickly ran to the front desk and saw that my taxi driver was already there.  I apologized and told him to wait ten minutes, explaining the situation.  I went back to the restaurant, waffled back the fish fritters and then had my jerked chicken and bacon wrap put in a to-go box.  I paid and ran back to the taxi driver.  He was very understanding. 

This taxi driver’s name was Charlie.  He was also born on the island.  I asked him what was his favorite island in the Caribbean.  He said, “Saint Lucia.  It’s my island.”  He says he travels all throughout the Caribbean to play squash.  As we drove the hour-plus to get back to Mago Estate, he fills me in on some details about his island: like how the roads were shut down for 12 days during the November hurricane or how magnificent the Saint Lucia Jazz Festival is.  “Come back and bring your friends,” he insisted.  “Wonderful music, weather, food – everything!”  I’ve added it to my list.  If it’s a music festival, I’m interested.  If it’s a music festival in St. Lucia, well then ... 

Back at the Mago Estate
I checked back in to Mago Estate.  They couldn’t give me an upgrade again, but instead offered me the original room I would’ve had the first time around.  Again, I was happy.  Basically only three walls with the fourth directly open to a balcony into the rain forest.  I immediately unpacked and went back to the front desk so I could get in touch with Kester.  He met me at the hotel in no time.  I told him I wanted to go back to Ladera for drinks and a good sunset.  He obliged.  We caught up and he liked my idea for the night. 

I got to Ladera and perched at the bar.   I took out my camera and took pictures, and took out Harry Potter and read.  I drank a lot.  Lots of mixed drinks, but also waters, Cokes, and Piton beer mixed in-between.  It was a marvelously peaceful way to spend several hours.  Sunset had been arriving at 6 PM on the dot.  My iPod was surprisingly dormant for the majority of this trip.  I elected for waves, winds, and rustling leaves over music.  At 5:30 PM, I started on my picture run.  I asked the staff if I could roam the main dining area to take pictures.  Wow.  There are three times in the past where I’ve been truly this picture-happy: sunset in Santorini, sunset at the Grand Canyon, and sunset at Malibu Beach.  The sunset I saw this night had me in awe, just like in Santorini, the Grand Canyon, and Malibu.  There were only a few clouds in the sky.  The sun was setting between the two Pitons.  Boats were alive in the bay below.  My viewpoint was at altitude, a key component of underscoring the colors of a good sunset.  Suddenly, the Pitons became massive silhouettes.  The sky lit up in shades of red, yellow, orange, and blue.  It was a surreal experience.  I wasn’t the only one taking this in.  Numerous people were soaking in this incredible sight.  One of these pictures will undoubtedly be enlarged, framed, and hung in my apartment.   












I settled my tab and Kester picked me up promptly at 6:30 PM.  “Hell of a sunset,” he told me.  I agreed.  He took me back to Mago where I had dinner.  Cabbage and ham soup was good.  The fried lamb soaked in soy sauce and local spices with rice, carrots, string beans, potatoes, and celery hit the spot.  Toby, one of the workers on sight, came up up to me and said, “I’m going to the down.  What do you want for pleasure?”  I respectively declined the offer. 

I went to bed, realizing I needed to sleep well.  Kester and I were going to hike Petit Piton in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment