Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Trips: St. Lucia (Day 3)

Friday, January 28

I am proud to say I did nothing on Friday. 

Cap Maison was so wonderfully relaxing that I had no desire to leave it.  I know I have a reputation for picking up and going.  Yes, I’ve flown to Kansas City on a whim because of a barbecue craving.  Yes, I’ve flow to Philadelphia on a whim because of a cheesesteak craving.  I was told the most beautiful beaches were only fifteen minutes away from Cap Maison.  But I had no plans to leave the estate.  Why leave?  I had a lounge chair - under a palm tree with a glorious view of the ocean, sky, and Pigeon Island - with my name written all over it.  I had my own private beach on the other side of the estate.  I could order room service and eat on my balcony.  I was happy to stay put until check out on Saturday afternoon.  That’s exactly what I did.   

En route to breakfast
I got ready and headed back to The Cliff restaurant for breakfast.  They sat me at my table.  Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, and mushrooms.  Yummy.  I changed into my bathing suit and climbed down the sixty or so steps to get down the private beach on Smuggler’s Cove.  I was the first one there.  A white sand beach isolated by cliffs on either side.  I pulled up a chair under a thatch umbrella.  I read some Harry Potter.  A few hours later, a few more people came down to the beach.  A stray dog somehow found its way down.  One of my favorite pictures from the beach involves the dog just gazing into the ocean. 

My chair on the beach
The dog's probably thinking what I'm thinking
The sun starting to really come out
Cactus = hot weather
My spot on the estate
My chair
I decided to order room service for lunch.  I opened the two doors leading onto my main balcony (yes, I had two balconies) and sat at the table, reading the magazines that came with the room.  Half an hour later, it was as if they knew I’d be here.  See, there are two entrances to Room 38: the main one and finally a separate set of stairs leading to this main balcony.  My lunch was laid out for me.  If there’s anything better than a good meal, it’s a good meal with a good view.  I chomped on my light, refreshing, and scrumptious jerked chicken and bacon wrap with the island seafood chowder (again).  How good was the chowder?  Well, I ordered it and ate it despite the ninety-degree weather. 

View of main balcony from my room
Hello, room service!
I digested.  I headed back to my spot by the vegetable garden.  This time I noticed it was also a spice garden.   I took a relaxing dip in the pool.  I watched the sunset again.  A good sunset is good for the soul and never, ever gets old.  Like the night before, I ran around the estate snapping pictures galore.  I found myself at the bottom of the estate at the table on the rocks, right on the water. 

Nap time

Pool time!





I caved and did room service for dinner too.  I enjoyed the fish fritters with the pineapple chili sauce and the mini burgers with fries (really the closest thing to an American meal all trip).  I showered.  I laid down.  I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment