Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Food: Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop

Super Pan *** - It's nice to have non-burger hype for once.  Super Pan is a hole-in-the-wall Latin sandwich shop connected to Pura Vida in the Virginia-Highlands south of Ponce, and it's no surprise why it's connected to Pura Vida: it's the brain child of Pura Vida's chef Hector Santiago.  When I'm given specific food recommendations from friends, I'm usually quick to take them up on the tip.  So I did.  I had a huge appetite when I went for lunch today.  Since every sandwich looked awesome, I often go to my Plan B: order two sandwiches.  My friend Conor recommended the Medio Dia ("crispy skin adobo roasted berkshire pork, niman ranch ham, chayote pickles, swiss, habanero mustard, and clove salt on a pineapple "submarino" roll") and I also got the BBQ Rib Bolillo (a "mayan adobo "bbq" beef rib, carrots, onions and cilantro, orange chipotle bbq sauce on a bolillo roll").  Both sandwiches were delicious and explode with flavor.  And it's not a loud blur of taste either.  You can actually taste every ingredient put into the sandwich.  And yes, the portions are generous.  I've made this a three-star rating for now; it's not yet in the sandwich class of Star Provisions or Alon's.  But I'll be making return trips.  There's a reason why this place is drawing attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment