Friday, March 11, 2011

Trips: Cabo San Lucas (Day 1)

March 5, 2011

Cabo is a beautiful, beautiful place, devoid of evil things like stress, humidity, and mosquitoes.

Though my flight wasn't until 10 AM, I found myself awake at six in the morning, anxious to get to the airport, taking all precautions to prevent missing this flight.  It was brisk parking and making my way through security.  I grabbed breakfast in the airport terminal and waited for my flight.  Really, the height of my stress in the morning was trying to figure out why Cabo wasn't on the departure board.  I looked up my fight on my iPhone and it told me where to go.  It was when I arrived at my gate that I realized my mistake.  Cabo wasn't listed as Cabo or San Jose Cabo.  It was listed as Los Cabos. 

It was an uneventful flight.  Always a good thing.  In fact, I was asleep for most of it.  I woke up and felt a pressure on my left thigh.  That's when I realized a young elementary school girl was leaning over trying to look out the window while we landed.  We were both excited.  Perhaps as excited as this little schoolgirl.

Just like in Saint Lucia, we deplaned on the runway.  It was hot and bright and sunny and good.  I was all too happy to throw on my shades.  I texted Leah to let her know that I arrived.  Little did I know her plane ran late and she was literally only a few minutes ahead of me on the customs line.   Before I knew it, I was through customs and met up with Leah (hooray!).  You have to understand, Leah and I tend to meet up in faraway places.  This time, it's Cabo.  Not too shabby.  We were excited to say the least.  

We threw our bags through security and "pushed the button" to determine whether or not we'd get further searched.  Green lights for the both of us.  Sweet!

We were shoveled, almost without choice, to a corridor filled with energetic and eager salesman-type figures.  Yes, we were going to get pummeled with offers to lure us into seeing timeshares.  We signed up with the first guy we saw, as he promised us a cheap taxi, free breakfast, and a sunset cruise.  We nodded and shook our heads.  Kendra told me that this would happen (she and Rees were in Cabo only weeks before us).  We would oblige for one.   

Over the thirty minute cab ride, Leah and I caught up since we hadn't seen each other in a good while.  Though it's always fun to catch up with one of your best friends, we had to stop each other so that we didn't forget to appreciate the arid but beautiful scenery that passed us by. 

Villa la Estancia was the name of our hotel.  Let me tell you, Leah and I were laughing at how ridiculously over the top this place was.  Our luggage was handled for us.  We were seated in a beautiful lobby and were served fresh bottled water while we checked in.  We were showed to our room.  Building two, floor five, room 2505.  Now, I booked this through sniqueaway.com, much like Charleston and Saint Lucia.  I thought those were over the top.  Villa la Estancia takes the cake.  

Let me tell you about Room 2505 at Villa la Estancia.  We were given a tour of our villa.  1400 square feet.  Two doors just to get in.  Full kitchen.  Yes, full with two sinks, dishwasher, full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, plates, cups, wine glasses, oven, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, and any kitchen ware you'd need to cook a meal or just have a glass of wine.  This was connected to a dining room (bigger than mine in Atlanta) and living room (bigger than mine in Atlanta), which had a full entertainment center including flat-screen TV, stereo system, and iPod docking station (yes, all of which were bigger than mine in Atlanta.)  There was also a guest bathroom with its own shower.  The bedroom involved a king-sized bed with all necessary accessories including another flat-screen TV at the foot of the bed, with a full mini-living room next to it.  Both the bedroom and main living room attached to the balcony, which was generous in size to say the least, which had another full sized table, six chairs, and two lounge chairs, and a view of the ocean and Land's End.  Six feet to the left of the bed was a jacuzzi.  Our bathroom was bigger than my bedroom in Atlanta.  It had a shower, toilet, enough closet space to hold my entire wardrobe at home and more, plus a his and her sink set up.  Yes, ironing board and iron were provided.  Did I mention the washer, dryer, and sink specifically for rinsing clothes?  Yes, there was WiFi.  And yes, they provided an ethernet cord just in case.  Again, we were laughing at what we had at our disposal.  Utterly and beautifully absurd.  

We unpacked and we showered.  We ran to the beach.  (The distance from our room to the beach is shorter than my walk from my apartment in Atlanta to the mailbox.)  It was incredibly warm.  We watched the sunset.  We took tons of photos.  We ran like children towards the water, only to run away when the waves came in.  We watched children run towards the water and run away when the waves came in.  Leah remembered what sunlight was like.  We hopped into an outdoor jacuzzi.  The stars were clearer than I could remember, with Orion directly above.  Dinner at the restaurant La Casona was very good.  Endives, fresh red snapper, and ribs based in BBQ and apple glaze.  Yes, we hopped into the jacuzzi in our room.  Yes, the bed was incredibly comfortable.  We watched Harry Potter.  We talked about our lack of plans for the week and how that plan was glorious.  We passed out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment