Thursday, March 3, 2011

Food: Au Pied de Cochon

Au Pied de Cochon **** - From the brief research I had done prior to going to this restaurant, the downsides always seem to be tied to the seafood.  I went to dinner with a fellow carnivore, so we were good on all counts.  We really, really enjoyed this place.  For such a wonderfully chic restaurant and hotel, we were thankful to find the entire staff quite friendly, happy, and hell, they seemed to enjoy where they work.  This was one of the better restaurant week deals: a three-course prix-fixe meal for only $25.  Not too shabby.  I enjoyed my starter, the French onion soup, which, though not the best I've had, was better than great.  Becca enjoyed her fresh salad.  For entrees, I started with the roasted chicken breast with ratatouille and Becca had the beef bourguignon with fettucini.  We decided we would switch halfway through.  (Perhaps it wasn't a coincidence that my research revealed so-so seafood and our waiter leaned away from the seafood.)  We are both slow eaters.  But not tonight.  We devoured the first half of our respective meals and then switched, only to devour the second half just as quickly.  It's hard to pick a favorite; both were equally delicious.  Tender chicken, tender beef, and not overseasoned.  Really tender.  At one point, I dug into the chicken with my hands, which Becca noted was a good sign.  The fettucini was a welcome complement to the beef, as was the ratatouille to the chicken.  Actually, they were as good as the main meats.  Then came dessert.  The desserts were light and wonderful.  I preferred the baba au rhum.  Becca preferred the crème brûlée.  But that's just a preference thing.  So, in sum: What's not to like?  Great service, great food, and great ambiance.  And a hidden plus about the place: it's open 24 hours a day.  I wish I knew that, and a long time ago.  I wouldn't be a surprised if I stop in for a croque monsieur sometime soon ... One final thought.  I had read about inconsistencies with the restaurant.  On first impression, quite consistent through and through.

No comments:

Post a Comment