Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food: Jimmy'z Kitchen

Jimmy's Kitchen *** (Miami, FL) - My brother showed me a clip of Guy Fieri eating mofongo at Benny's Seafood in Miami; this was the best thing he ever ate.  As I did more research, and even peaked into the blogs of fans of Guy Fieri, it seemed unanimous that the best mofongo in Miami wasn't at Benny's; it was at Jimmy'z Kitchen.  In fact, the strongest supporters of this claim were Puerto Ricans or Cubans.  I landed at the airport in Fort Lauderdale; within an hour I was at Jimmy'z Kitchen.  To start, let me get the bad stuff out of the way.  This might have been the most expensive lunch I've had in recent memory, at just over $20.  But yes, it was absolutely delicious!  I ordered the seafood mofongo, which appeared to be a staff favorite.  It was brought out to me piping hot.  Seafood everywhere!  (People everywhere; this place was packed to the brim!)  The plantain-based, gravity-defying structure was massive but crumbled on the slightest contact with my fork.  Awesome!  I was in Puerto Rico about two years ago.  Though we weren't on a mofongo run per se, I did eat it quite a bit, particularly in Old San Juan.  Jimmy'z is at least on par with the mofongo I had there.  I'll defer to the Puerto Ricans and Cubans who live in Miami.  But now the dilemma: should I try Benny's now?

No comments:

Post a Comment