Sunday, May 29, 2011

Trips: Zion National Park I (Arrival)

May 4, 2011

This place is beautiful.

I'm a sucker for a palette of colors, mountain ranges, and canyons.  Through in a winding river, that can't hurt either.  Jay and I made the three-hour drive from Vegas.  We checked into Zion Lodge.  (A very comfortable place to stay with a great restaurant.)  It was Jay's first time, so the first afternoon involved a series of easy hikes.  Riverside was paved.  A nice hike, featuring numerous deer.  It ended at The Narrows, a trail I'd love to do if not for the immense water levels and fear of drowning due to inability to swim.  On our way back, Jay got sidetracked getting as close as possible to some deer.  I stayed back and watched.  Some passerbys stopped.  "Who's that guy?" one asked.  "I hope he knows deer attack."  I responded: "And that's my brother." Weeping Rock was a short but steep 15 minute hike to a rock over ledge, under which you perch with not only a view of the mountains and valley but water trickles over and around you via the ledge.  A beautiful spot.  Zion was full of beautiful spots.  We ended that first day with the Lower Emerald Pool hike.  Again, paved and meandering with grand views.  So funny how this was only three hours away from Las Vegas.  Such different worlds. I enjoyed this new one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment