Monday, May 2, 2011

An Incredible Week of World News

I came down to New Orleans for one reason: Jazzfest 2011.  This is the smallest detail in a week of news.

I arrived in New Orleans on April 28, 2011.  Later that day, once I got settled into my hotel room,  I watched the news and saw numerous severe thunderstorms and tornadoes rip through the southeast, particularly in Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia.  I watched emotionally-affected meteorologists report tornado after tornado, including the devastating monster that ripped through Tuscaloosa and northern Birmingham.  I watched the aftermath.  The devastation and deaths.  It was heart-wrenching.

Within twenty-four hours, William & Catherine were married in England.  It was a beautiful royal wedding and amazing to witness.  Sure, I wasn't a fanatic like some, but when's the next time we will see a royal wedding or any wedding like this?  But it did bring flashbacks to years ago.  I remember I had gone to bed, I had left the VCR on to tape Saturday Night Live.  I woke up the next morning; I had taped news coverage of Princess Diana's death.  The world had been shocked.  In watching the William & Catherine wedding, it was incredible to see everything go right.  The ceremony was beautiful.  Catherine looked beautiful.  They both seem genuine, comfortable, and happy.  The pure joy expressed by the population was moving.  As for the two kisses?  Come on, that was awesome.  The House of Windsor seems true, modern, and real.  For once, it was a breath of fresh air to have genuinely good news.  And to see news reporters laugh and have a good time for a change?  That was fun too.

Last night, I was watching television when breaking news revealed Osama bin Laden had been killed.  I waited nearly an hour.  I watched President Obama's address to the nation and to the world.  I watched crowds start to gather outside the White House and Ground Zero.  In my mind, I flashed back to ten years ago, to everything I experienced during 9/11.  Like many interviewed on the news, it truly is a culmination of numerous emotions.  I am excited this evil man is gone from this world.  I have sadness, remembering all the victims and families affected nearly ten years ago.  I have the utmost respect and can only say infinite thank yous to those in the military and in those in any segment in public service.  I am proud to live in this country and be an American.  I am reminded of the bigger picture and what brings us all together.   

It is indeed a lot of news to swallow.  It has been a historic week.  It is almost difficult to process.  Then I think about where I am right now, in New Orleans, at Jazzfest.  New Orleans lives on and remains a great city.  At Jazzfest, I realize that I am seeing a glimpse of humanity at its best: people of all  walks of life, ages and backgrounds, from here and from all over the states and the world, coming together to celebrate life, and everything in it, food, music, and love.  It's a reminder that we all can get along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment