Monday, May 2, 2011

Food: Top 10 Foods I Ate at Jazzfest 2011

Initially, this was supposed to be a Top 10 Foods I Ate in NOLA list.  Clearly I didn't follow through with that.  Why?  One, it was too hard.  Second, a lot of my personal favorites are also cheap so should just be required eating.  I love eating in NOLA.

The Required Eating 
Cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde - Duh!  The original muffuletta at Central Grocery - I think choosing between the muffuletta and po' boy as the official sandwich of NOLA is damn near impossible.  They sell half and whole muffulettas.  Keep in mind, the half muffuletta is about 1.5 times the size of a standard sub.  The Famous Ferdi at Mother's Restaurant - Today, I went back and had it for the second time.  When I hopped on line, there were five people in front me; between the five of them, they ordered six of the Famous Ferdi po' boy.  What is it?  A glorious helping of the best ham ever, roast beef, mustard, cabbage, with a nice douse of gray known as debris (it literally is a debris of meat).  Premedicate with Tums, Zantac, Prilosec ... something!  Raw oysters at Acme Oyster House - Seriously.  Oh, and finally - anything that is local and Cajun!  Gumbo, po' boys,  barbecue shrimp (at Deanie's ... drool ...), crawfish ... Basically, I think it's impossible to go wrong in NOLA!     
 
Top 10 Foods I Ate at Jazzfest
10. Mango Freeze (WWOZ Community Radio)
09. Fried Soft-Shell Crab Po' Boy (Galley Seafood Restaurant)
08. Muffuletta (DiMartino’s Famous Muffulettas)
07. Crawfish Sack (Patton's Caterers)
06. Pheasant, Quail & Andouille Gumbo (Prejean's Restaurant)
05. Beignets (Cafe du Monde)
04. Crawfish Beignets (Patton's Caterers)
03. Crawfish Monica (Kajun Kettle Foods, Inc.)
02. Louisiana Crawfish Po' Boy (Sharon & Guilherme Wegner)
01. Cochon de Lait Po' Boy (Love at First Bite)

Hands down, best food at any music festival.  If you disagree, reread this Top 10 list.  And this is only a fraction of the available food there, much of which I didn't even try!  Warning: If you plan to go for both weekends of Jazzfest, take the advice of a girl from Colorado with whom I spoke: "I lost five pounds in the week approaching this trip.  Not a coincidence."

No comments:

Post a Comment