Saturday, April 30, 2011

Trips: San Diego

First impression: I'm a fan of San Diego. 

San Diego is to Los Angeles what Boston is to New York.  But here's where San Diego is better than Boston: friendlier people, better weather, easier parking, and better Mexican food.  In my days before and after Coachella, I got to explore.  Not only was it easy to get from different parts of the city by car, but once I got there it was a walkable city. 

Balboa Park is beautiful.  Lots of museums that I didn't get a chance to explore.  Why?  I opened for the San Diego Zoo.  Come on, why not?  I was in a park, it was a beautiful day, and you know, I didn't mind seeing some animals, exotic or fluffy or whatever.  It was a beautiful zoo and the animals there were awesome!  I know I'm sounding like a kid, but isn't that the point?  Elephants, panda bears (including one taking a nap, that's my kinda panda), giraffes.  I had a great time.  

The Gaslight District and Horton Plaza even was quirky.  Walkable.  Busy but not overwhelmingly crowded.  Dense with bars and restaurants.  Great shopping too; I bought a few sweatshirts at the PUMA store (preparation for Coachella, of course.)  The ballpark is right there and tickets were cheaper than expected (I sat about 15 rows behind home plate).  Amazing views from the top of the Grand Hyatt of the Embarcadero.  I stayed at the Hotel Solamar (thank you, sniqueaway) and was very pleased.  And proving that this is a small world, ran into a fellow residency classmate Jennie Law, who was there for an endocrinology conference.  
As for the food: 

Phil's BBQ **** - Funny story.  I went to pick my up car at Enterprise.  The guy behind the counter asked me if I needed directions.  I asked him if he knew about Phil's BBQ; he said it was close by and he loved the place.  And yes, he had been to Coachella.  I was becoming a fan of Coachella.  When I got to the parking lot, the guy asked me why I was in town.  I told him I was there for Coachella.  He also loved Coachella.  He immediately upgraded my compact car to an all-wheel SUV.  He also knew about Phil's BBQ.  I went and yes, it was worth the hype.  Thank you, Adam Richman.  El Toro, or the tri-tip sandwich, is the best BBQ I've had in 2011.  Unbelievably tender and delicious.  Next year, I hope to be at SHM 2012 in San Diego.  I will return here. 

Hash House a go go *** - Okay, I deviated from my plan to get a bacon-based dish.  But I couldn't resist the famous fried chicken behemoth.  Ridiculously huge.  I was happy to see any part of the plate then stop eating.  Delicious.  Great atmosphere.  Great menu.  Great music selection.  I shall return.  Note to self: there's also one in Las Vegas.

Lucha Libre Taco Shop **** - It is exactly what it sounds like.  I ordered the Surfin' California Burrito.  Holy awesomeness!  This was the best burrito I had ever had.  And I got to enjoy it while staring at lucha libre memorabilia.  They even had a champions booth you had to reserve.  Joel, if you're reading this, you'd love this place.  First meal when I return to San Diego will be back here!  Loved it!

Broken Yolk Cafe ** - Post-Coachella.  In fact, this was my first meal of the day after having driven back from Empire Polo Grounds to San Diego.  A good meal.  I had the omelet of the day.  Hit the spot.  Otherwise, not anything terribly memorable.  But after Coachella and after a long night and a long drive, I was quite happy for the change in conditions. 

I did have plans to hit up Hotel del Coronado once I got back from Coachella.  But once I set foot into The U.S. Grant Hotel, those goals faded.  The hotel was so beautiful and the hotel room and bed and shower such wonderful (relative) commodities after several days in the desert that I was content to never leave the room until check out.  That's what I did.  I ordered room service.  I slept.  I napped.  I watched TV.  It was awesome. 

To the scheduling gods above, please let me available for SHM 2012 in San Diego.  I have some unfinished business!

No comments:

Post a Comment