Tuesday, January 3, 2012

List: 11 Sandwiches I Loved in 2011

Who doesn't love a good sandwich?  Here are my 11 favorites in 2011, including mostly new ones but there are a few old ones as well. 

11. El Toro at Phil's BBQ (San Diego, CA)
A tri-tip sandwich.  Incredibly tender and lathered in BBQ sauce.  A winner!

10. Pastrami sandwich at Katz's (New York, NY)
I prefer the pastrami at Katz's over Second Ave.  But that's a fine detail.  If I eat a pastrami sandwich in NY, chances are it will end up on a list somewhere.

09. The Big Nasty at Hominy Grill (Charleston, SC)
Chicken, biscuit, gravy, sloppy, big, and nasty.  I loved it.

08. Famous Ferdi at Mother's Restaurant (New Orleans, LA)
A sandwich dripping wet, stuffed with amazing ham, roast beef, and topped with debris.  That's right, debris, basically a concoction of sauce featuring roast beef.  Eat one and you will happily endure your new diagnosis of gout.

07. Banh mi at Star Provisions (Atlanta, GA)
My favorite sandwich shop in Atlanta.  One of the most addicting sandwiches I've eaten this year.

06. Shrimp po' boy at Star Provisions (Atlanta, GA)
Another old favorite.

05. Cochon de Lait po' boy at Jazzfest (New Orleans, LA)
Pig with a coleslaw-like topping.  It's available at Jazzfest.  It almost always sells out by early lunchtime.

04. Chopped pork sandwich at Allen & Son (Chapel Hill, NC)
The best pulled pork sandwich ever. 

03. The Poor Russ at Fiorella's Jack Stack (Kansas City, MO)
I don't know why it's called the Poor Russ.  But if Russ had dibs on this sandwich, I'd say he was awfully lucky.  In a city that has mastered the burnt ends, this is best sandwich form in Kansas City.  Chopped and topped with their signature sauce.  This is utterly fantastic. 

02. Brisket sandwich at Black's Barbecue (Lockhart, TX)
This is not as simple as the counterpart sandwiches at Smitty's or Kreuz.  But it's still simple.  There's a bun.  There are a few pickles.  You can add sauce.  But the brisket stands out.  This is sublime.  And you receive it in a brown paper bag.

01. Grilled Pork at Paseo (Seattle, WA)
I had a fantastic Cuban sandwich at El Siboney in Key West.  It makes sense that, outside of Cuba, Florida would have fantastic Cuban sandwiches.  And especially Key West, since it's 90 miles from Havana.  Who knew Paseo in Seattle would have something to say?   Paseo kept popping up in all these lists, web sites, and magazines that talked about the country's best sandwiches.  Plus, one of my best friends, a vegetarian, was oddly endorsing this place.  Since I would be in Seattle for a wedding, I knew I had to stop by and try it.  Yes, yes, yes!  The real deal.  So good I was talking out loud to myself about how good it was.  This proved awkward to people nearby.  I don't care.  This Cuban sandwich is perfect.

Honorable mention:
Jibarito at Borinquen (Chicago, IL)
A steak sandwich with fried plantains as the bun.  Densest sandwich consumed this year. 

Tuna nicoise at Bouchon Bakery (New York, NY)
A light and delightful tuna sandwich, courtesy of Thomas Keller. 

Duck sandwich at Momofuku Ssam Bar (New York, NY)
Duck in a sandwich?  It works.  But don't forget to leave room for those steamed pork buns.

The McRib at McDonald's 
Synthesized, yes, but delicious anyway.  Unless you've had it, you can't say a bad thing about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment